Read "Think About it..." Online Warrior Stories  | Excerpts | News Articles | Poems
Rear Cover | Reviews | About the Book | About the Author | Order | E-Mail  |  Home

" Think About it..." mailed to your home for only $14.95   S&H included
A great gift for you or someone you love

True Soldier Stories

"Courage is the ability to move; when all around you are frozen in fear
and no one would blame you if you did nothing at all." Capt. Click. Phx. PD

My Name is "Buck Rogers"
Carwin Elwood "Buck" Rogers

Taken from the book Think About it... for your reading convenience

                Most men are too proud to listen to the promptings
                                           of the Holy Ghost, but not me. I know they’re real.

Authors Note:

I was sitting in my police cruiser doing paper one night, when a gate guard who was working near by came up to me and stuck up a conversation. Through the conversation I learned he was 75 years old. He told me that he had lived a long life because he had received a blessing when he was young. I knew then he was LDS. I didn't want to influence his responses to me so I asked if he was LDS without telling him that I was. He very quickly and humbly said, "Yes". I kept asking him questions to hear what he had to say. He told me that his life was full of times where he had been spared because he had listened to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. That was when he told me, "Most men are too proud to listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, but not me. I know they're real. "Interested, I turned off the engine so I could listen more closely to what he had to say. The conversation drifted toward WWII. As the conversation continued, like Horst, he shared his most personal war time experience with me, a total stranger. I later met with him and asked if he would share his story here with us. This is the real story of:

Buck Rogers

                     I was a glider pilot for the US Army Air Force, during WWII.
                        After 53 years, some facts become a little clouded.
     Yet one special incident in my life is as clear and pure as a new spring morning.

I was born in Joseph City, Arizona, on December 12, 1921. I remember all the original pioneers then living a tight loving community with strong stalwart youth. I learned very early how to know the Holy Spirit. A special gift I have enjoyed all my life.

Early in 1942, it was apparent that I would soon belong to Uncle Sam. I rushed to join the Naval Sea Bees. By this time I was familiar with many of the machines of the construction industry. I found myself with thousands like me in a new Army-Air Force element. It did not take long before I realized no authorized clergy of the Church was recognized. I was sent off to west Texas to learn about a brand new innovation to place men with their equipment intact on the front lines; or as Schock Troops. This program was; Towed Aircraft, with a heavy load capacity called gliders. We learned in small craft. Our advanced training came in the real glider.

The gliders used in combat were called "CG4A." The British called them "Kites." Which in reality is what they were. They had a wing span of about 75 feet and were about 42 feet long. They were attached to the towing plane which was usually a DC3 or the old, "Goony Birds" of the Air Force. A 3/4 inch nylon rope approximately 300 feet long was the "kite string." When released you were on your own. They had a gliding angle of about ten to one. They were red-lined with a maximum load of 3700 pounds. You could carry a jeep and two people plus a pilot and co-pilot. Or you could carry eleven full battle load troops or a 105mm gun. Many times I found myself with a load of 4200 pounds. Which when cut loose, fell like a rock. It had to be landed so hot it was unpredictable what would happen.

After our advanced training, we were sent to the European Theater of Operations. We worked closely with the English, learning their crafts etc. I was one of the ones sent to the North African Campaign. Where eventually the enemy was out of North Africa and Sicily.

About this time I could feel temptations on every side. I realized that I had almost forgotten to pray and to keep myself in check. We had no chaplains, no organized groups and I could find no others who professed to be LDS. After a while, I was sent back to England where my original assigned outfit were stationed. The 71st Troop Carrier Squadron, 434th group, 53rd Wing, 9th Air Force of Army Air Corp., at Aldermaston, near Reading, England.

Immediately, I started to try to locate other members of the Church. It seemed a dead end. I was fed up with what I was hearing being taught so I went with Sol Barr to the Jewish Services. My training had been so fast and with such high priority, that very little time had been allotted for things spiritual. One Sunday morning, (don't remember which one, but I do remember that I thought about home) I realized at home it was Fast Sunday. I had not had the sacrament for more than two years. I found a secluded spot in an air raid shelter.

                        My soul called out humbly and purely.
                                    I needed to repent.
                                              I needed the help of the Almighty.
                                        I had made some very powerful commitments.
                                                                             My faith was there.

Three days after the special supplication, I was summoned to the orderly room. I met our squadron executive officer. His message was something like this, ‘We have checked your service record. We have in our possession special mention of your accomplishments. You have given almost 100% since your induction. We have seven days for you in London. Go at the expense of the USAAF.’ Wow! How plush can it get? Carpets up to my ankles, fresh sheets with huge beds, I thought.

The very first morning in London, England, was cloudy and misty, as is the general rule. About eight guys as I recall were in the group. Most of them wanted to head for the hot spots down in White Hall. "Come on Rog" as they called me. "Let’s go have some fun." Some force, as I remember strongly, was with me. I declined their invitation. I told them that I had something special to do so, "You guys go ahead." Today, I cannot remember the name of the station where I got on and off the underground rail system. This I do know; I had no knowledge of London, England. I did not know for sure what I was about.

            A power came over me so wonderful, I can scarcely describe it.
                            Suddenly I was up out of my seat.
                                             I was climbing the stairs to the outside world.

I walked out into a most clear and beautiful morning. I turned right, walked about one half block. I turned right again into one of the most gorgeous little lanes I had ever seen. There were flowers in abundance and white painted picket fences. I looked up. I was standing directly in front of British Mission Headquarters, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 149 Nightingale Lane.

                                  I never had any knowledge of such a place.
                        I was so overcome, that I fell on my knees.
                                                 Tears came streaming down my face.
                          Elder Hugh B. Brown met me at the top of the three steps.
                                      ‘Come in. I have been expecting you.’ he said.
                                                     That’s when I flooded the reception area.

I know that I truly had the gift of the Holy Ghost. I spent three very special days with Elder Brown. He was at the time, Mission President and Church Coordinator to service men.

                 Elder Brown pronounced a special blessing upon me.
                                                             If I would keep the commandments,
                         I was promised that I would survive and come home,
                                           raise a wonderful family and have a very special life.

I took part in every campaign in Europe. I had many special assignments. I had many close encounters. After the war was over, I did enjoy those promises.

              When we had a reunion about six years after the war.
                      It was found that I was the only living American glider pilot
                              who had taken part in every campaign in the European Theater.


                                               "Buck Rogers", WWII, USAAF, glider pilot  
                                                             Carwin Elwood “Buck” Rogers.


If you are or were a police officer, soldier, fireman
or wife, mother, father of such or some other branch of emergency personnel
and would like to share an unusual testimony building experience with others,
please contact us for details at

or use the link on the front page of this site at

Thank you and God bless,


"Think About it..." mailed to your home for only $14.95   S&H included

Read "Think About it..." Online Warrior Stories  | Excerpts | News Articles | Poems
Rear Cover | Reviews | About the Book | About the Author | Order | E-Mail  |  Home

S&J Liberty Publishing
P.O. Box 7899   Mesa, AZ 85216-7899
A 317 page full size book, mailed to your home for only $14.95   S&H included